The Ministry of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs has promulgated revised regulations following President Cyril Ramaphosa’s address to the nation last night.
After several weeks of confusion, the Regulations now clearly state no leisure travel is allowed under law. Please click here to view the document.
The amendments in the latest released regulations that are important to note from the previous regulations:
- Page 6: Hotels, lodges, bed and breakfasts, timeshare facilities, resorts and guest houses, except to the extent that these facilities are required for accommodation by:
- The remaining tourists confined to such facilities;
- Persons for work purposes, and
- Persons in quarantine or isolation.
- Page 8: A specific economic exclusion has been added for hotels, lodges, bed and breakfasts, timeshare facilities and resorts and guest houses, for leisure purposes.
Short-term home-sharing, letting, leasing or rental, as well as domestic passenger air travel for leisure purposes remains banned.
The Tourism Business Council of South Africa is reviewing its options and we will keep members updated as to the next steps.